Wellington Cuba Friendship Writes to the Minister of Foreign Affairs
Wellington Cuba Friendship Society, has written to the Honorable Nanaia Mahuta on behalf of Cuba Solidarity
Aotearoa seeking her intervention in the ongoing enforcement of the illegal U.S. blockade by the New Zealand banking industry, and postal and shipping services
The letter notes that "private citizens have ... been asked personal, unnecessary, and intrusive questions when simply trying to pay for normal consular services" and further that NZ businesses face unnecessary and counterproductive barrier to trying to establish themselves internationally only to find they face impediments such as these, which are not experienced in other international trade arenas.
Even the Cuban Embassy faces punitive conditions enforced by major NZ banks including:
- Denial of the provision of a credit card.
- Unable to use online banking between their own accounts.
- Holding of monies received electronically from
Europe for weeks at a time, often involving amounts as small as several hundred
- The Embassy is required to provide information that is intrusive and unjustified, including but not limited to:
- A detailed account of the purpose of the payment
- Supporting documents to prove this.
Contact YOUR Member of Parliament and demand government action ~ are we an independent nation or simply a vassal state subservient to the US?